26 February 2013

Things I've Made - Update

In my January post "Things I've Made," I promised to show you my latest knitting project when it was finished. I mailed it to its recipient yesterday, and it should arrive today, so I don't think there's too much harm in jumping the gun and showing it to you now.

It's a pale blue baby blanket for a little boy in an aran pattern. Aran patterns are traditional in the wind-and-water-swept islands of Ireland and Scotland, where their thick cables and textured stitches keep fishermen and shepherds warm and dry. I've knitted cables before, but never something this cable-intense. Messing up the cables (and learning to fix them, using the technique outlined in the Yarn Harlot's tutorial) were important parts of the process.

Here are some photos of the project from beginning to end.


The pattern is set up at the beginning on a circular needle.
Note my sushi-shaped stitch markers. I love my stitch marker collection.

Oops! I twisted a cable in the wrong direction. Ripping it back and fixing it is
one of the bravest things I have done in a long time.

Shaping up beautifully.

Finished, folded over the living-room chair, awaiting blocking.

Just before folding, wrapping, and shipping. The detail in these patterns is exquisite, isn't it?

Thanks for peeking at my work. I derive so much joy from this process! I'm calculating that the new owner of this blanket will go off to college in the fall of 2031. I hope he takes his blanket with him.

1 comment:

Rev. K.T. said...

Oh, Jennie, that is one of the most beautiful blankets I've ever seen!!!