09 December 2011

Sam's Favorites

In case you didn't notice, I've been in baking mode lately.  I spent all afternoon today making chocolate-chip cookies.  (I use the recipe on the back of the bag of Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate morsels, just like my grandma used to.  It really is the best recipe.  You can find it here.)



Late this afternoon, my husband called.  "What did you do all day?" he asked.

"Oh, I worked a little, and knitted, and made some cookies."

"Ooh!  Did you make my favorite oatmeal-raisins?"

"Uh...yeah."

Crap.

Fortunately, I had the ingredients in the house, so I scrambled and made some oatmeal-raisins for him.  Here's my recipe.

1 cup unsalted butter, softened.  (Don't use salted butter.  But if you have to, omit the salt from this recipe.)
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup plain-old white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if you are using salted butter)
3 cups oats (use the old-fashioned kind that comes in a drum - not quick-cooking or instant)
1 cup raisins (I used golden ones today, because that's what was in the cabinet, and I liked the results).

Mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl with a fork.

Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer (stand or hand-held).  When it's fluffy, add the eggs and vanilla, and mix well.

Slowly add the mixed dry ingredients to the buttery goo, and mix thoroughly.

Add the oats; mix; then add the raisins and mix by hand.



Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a Silpat- or foil-lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about ten minutes, or until just set.

I personally think Silpat is one of the greatest inventions ever.

Cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet, and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.  Do not cool these on the back porch or in any outdoor area, as squirrels like them just as much as husbands do.

Yummy.




I can tell this Weight Watchers thing is just not going to work for me until, like, January.  That's okay.  The cookies are worth it.

Happy munching!

2 comments:

laurie said...

I was sitting in my chair reading blogs tonight silently scolding myself for not sticking to eating healthy, (weight watchers) I'm so glad someone else feels this way.We can start in January OK? OK, great cookies!!!!My husbands favorite as well.

laxsupermom said...

I've been freezing my cookies almost as soon as they've cooled so that I won't be tempted. Between the baking and the booze, December is just deadly to my waistline. The cookies look delish! Thanks for sharing.