05 June 2011

Mending Time

With sincerest apologies to Robert Frost for mangling one of my favorites.





Something there is that doesn't love my children's trampoline,
That sends the wind and rain to tear its net



And spills the twigs and leaves upon its surface,


And makes holes even teens can poke their heads through.


The work of squirrels is another thing:
I have come after them and felt despair
Where they have left big gaps and chewing marks,


But they would high-tail it out of there,
If they ever saw my yelping dogs. The holes I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
But at June mending-time we find them there.


I let my daughter know when we're home from church;
And on a beautiful day we thread our needles
And try to close the net up once again.


We keep the net taut as we go.
To each the tears they feel that they can fix.
And some are straight and some so perfectly crooked
We have to use a spell to make them align:
"Mom, this is so much harder than it looks!"


We stab our fingers rough with stitching them.
Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
Keeping out the leaves. It comes to little more:
There where it is we like to have the net:
It keeps the tots from tumbling to the ground.
The teenagers would never be so dumb
As to get hurt when they are jumping, I'm told.
I only say, 'Better safe than sorry'.


The urge to sew is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in her head
To love it too, the way I did when young.


But hobbies are different now.
Before they chose one, they would ask to know
How long it takes, and where they'd plug it in,
And how to tag or share it with their friends.


Something there is that doesn't love this net,
That wants it down. I could say 'Elves' to her,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
She said it for herself. I see her there
Bringing a needle grasped firmly by her thumb
And weaving it through the fabric as she goes.
She moves with skill as it seems to me~
Not of an expert, but of a determined learner.
She will not be inspired to sew anything else,
Or make any other repairs around the house.
But we are happy with our neat results,
And with our hour spent together bonding.



5 comments:

❀ⒹⒺⒺ❀ said...

Hi Jennie,

I'm a Jersey Girl too!

Your children's trampoline looks like fun! How nice it was able to be mended.

Dee
Your new follower

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

Good for you on fixing it yourself! Great pictures.

Tom Major said...

No need for apologies to the Old Crank of the Mountain. This imitation was damn good and he should be flattered.

laxsupermom said...

I love that the 2 of you mended it together. Thanks for sharing.

xo katrina said...

we've been thinking of getting a trampoline for our boys but now it is starting to look like more work than i'm willing to put in! that's great you two were able to fix it.