06 March 2011

Flowers

I am still having a great deal of trouble typing because of my shoulder injury, so I am going to keep this week's post as short on text and long on pictures as I can.  The novelty of wearing a sling on my right arm has worn off, and now I am sick and tired of not being able to do anything I want to do.  It hurts to bathe, dress, write, and type.  Lifting things is completely out of the question.  When people try to hug me, I scream in pain.  (I did this to my husband today and scared the daylights out of him.  Now I am afraid he's never going to touch me again.)  This just isn't fun.  I am trying to be upbeat and a good sport about it, but my inner complainer is starting to show through.

Well, enough of that.

This weekend, I went to Philadelphia (about an hour and a half from here by car) with my big sister and my mom.  My sister had members-only preview tickets to the International Flower Show.  She has been going to this event every March for about ten years or so, and this was my first time accompanying her.

My sister knows the City of Brotherly Love pretty well, since she married a Philadelphian twenty-five years ago and, at the beginning of their marriage, she spent a lot of time driving back and forth to visit her mother-in-law at the holidays.  I don't know the first thing about Philadelphia, so I reverted to my three-year-old self and just followed my big sister around for about twenty-four hours.

Here are Mom and Patty at the entrance to the show.


I have a coworker who will be a bride in June, and she asked me to be on the lookout for white roses and hydrangeas.  Of course, I saw every flower and combination of flowers on earth EXCEPT for white roses and hydrangeas.  Here are some of the flowers I did see:

 Scotch Broom

 Orchid

 Another orchid - isn't this one spectacular?

Sunflower

There was also a beautiful vegetable garden which I found quite inspiring.  I am hoping my shoulder will be better by April, because I have now caught the gardening bug, and I am eager to get some seeds into the ground and get my summer salads growing as soon as I can.

The best part of my weekend was seeing my childhood friend Tavis, who lives in Philadelphia and was gracious enough to get a babysitter so she could meet me, Mom and Patty for breakfast on Saturday.  I hadn't seen Tavis in about thirty years, and we picked right up where we had left off in eighth grade.  The hug she gave me was one of the best hugs I've had in years, and it didn't hurt at all.



It's been a cold and rainy Sunday back at home.  We're all a little sad, because my Uncle George (actually not a blood relation, but my brother's godfather and a very dear family friend) passed away very early this morning after a rough battle with Alzheimer's.  We went to church today and, in accordance with late-winter Anglican tradition, we "buried the alleluias."  The kids wrote "alleluia" with brightly-colored markers on strips of paper, and then they hid the papers away.  Lent, our somber season, begins on Wednesday, so there will be no more "alleluias" until Easter.  Not that anyone feels like uttering that word anyway, with Uncle George gone.

I don't want to end on a sad or depressing note, so I will tell you one quick encouraging thing:  the yard is full of signs of winter being over.  Everywhere, there are little snowbells and tiny inch-high sprouts of crocus leaves.  Their reappearance has me thinking about the pervasive role flowers play in our lives.  They are the first heralds of spring.  They are a symbol of joy for a bride and of comfort to a mourner.  And sometimes, their mere presence can be an excuse to reunite old friends.

Have a good week.
Jennie

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Orchids really are such a unique flower. I hope your shoulder fixes itself up soon x

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

Gorgeous flower shots. Sorry about your shoulder, hope it is on the upmend soon. Thanks for joining my newbie party!
Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing

Daniella said...

Sorry about your shoulder!! But the flower show sounds fabulous!!
xxDaniella

Lori@KitchenFunk said...

Jennie, I am posting to thank you for following and to wish you good luck on the giveaway. I am now following you, as well! I live about the same distance from Philly and I have never been to the flower show, though I have heard it is beautiful - but I had no idea there was a vegie section (I have a large vegetable garden). I might have to check it out next year!

Rev. K.T. said...

I can't wait for the flowers to start coming up here. I am so incredibly ready for spring! I welcome the mud and the squish it makes beneath my feet.

susan said...

What a wonderfull thing to get to go to the Flower Show. What you saw and posted was great especially that Orchid! Wow
If you would like some help getting your garden ready Jennie I am volunteering to help. there is one condition you have to cook something for me in the crock-pot. I got one for a wedding present many years ago and didn't use it much so I gave it away to a charity during some Spring Cleaning Frenzy.
Not having a good working arm stinks. But it also can make you grateful to have one which works! The hugging is tough too. I mean not getting them. I do love a hug.
I am sure Sam can't wait to have you get rid of the sling and get better so he can hug correctly!
Today starts the lenten time. I missed Fat Tuesday so I will have to wait till Easter to gourge myself on Pancakes.
I hope you will enter me to win that Crock-pot. Wish me luck!

jennie said...

Susan, just do me a favor and go to the "Giveaway" post and leave a quick comment there, so that you will be included in the crockpot drawing!