21 February 2011

Presidents' Day

Greetings to all my loyal readers from the snowy slopes of Park City, Utah.  For those not familiar with this part of the country, it is absolutely unmatched in natural beauty,  which is what brings us back again and again.  Each time we touch down at the Salt Lake City airport, I am astounded by the mountains which rise, seemingly unreal, across the horizon.  I have taken many pictures over the years, but none have ever done these mountains justice.  You really have to see them to believe them.


Everyone arrived happy and ready to go, and even though we brought tons of gear with us, we still wore our snow-loving smiles.


Our primary purpose in being here is, of course, to ski, which we do with great enthusiasm.  Every February, all five of us wax down the skis, warm up the boots, and take a break from city life in the wilds of Utah.  We often bring friends with us, since our little condo has some extra space, and it's fun to be able to share.  This year, it's my little godson Nicky and his family.  Nicky is skiing for the first time ever this winter, and I have to say he is looking awfully smart in his goggles.


But it's not just skiing.  There's some creativity going on, too.   I was astounded at what Sarah did, absent-mindedly, with an empty plastic cup in the ski lodge:


That's a little dish pretty enough to store jewelry in!  I finally finished knitting a pair of slippers for her, too.  They are very easy to make, and warm, but I don't love the pattern (from this book):  it always seems to have a little hole at the toe.


I hear there's more snow back at home - everyone is complaining about it.  When you're in Park City, though, there's nothing to complain about when it snows.  You just sit by the window and watch it fall -


- and then, when you're ready, you head outside to enjoy it!


Wishing you and yours a very happy and healthy Presidents' Day.  Stay warm, and remember your helmet!

Jennie

3 comments:

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

Oh my I have not seen booties in years...wish I had a pair. Thanks for joining me...have fun this week meeting some new friends. XO

laxsupermom said...

Looks like a fun trip! What a crafty girl you have! Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie Chu said...

Love your blog, love your family, love spending time with you!!!

XOXOXO Chus

Hi from Nicky!