05 January 2011

Now therefore, be it resolved that:

I said I was going to talk about resolutions, right?  I didn't forget.

Last year at about this time, I resolved to get to the gym every single morning before work.  I signed up with a personal trainer and started leaving my house at 5 A.M. so that I could spend an hour on the elliptical machine before meeting the trainer for strength and conditioning exercises.  I started carpooling to the city with some early-rising neighbors.  I was going to get into shape, no matter what it took.

I kept my resolution.  And by mid-February, I had herniated two disks in my neck and was in so much pain that I couldn't move.  My left arm was completely paralyzed.  We took our annual ski vacation during President's Week, and I spent the first day in the lodge, crying in pain.  I finally got onto skis and braved the mountain, but it was excruciating, and I didn't enjoy it at all.  I couldn't carry my luggage.  I couldn't even knit; it hurt to look down.  I snapped at the kids and at Sam, who felt bewildered and helpless.  I spent a fortune visiting expensive surgeons (one of whom refused to accept my insurance because, his assistant told me, he was so prestigious and sought-after that "he didn't have to").  Friends gave me all kinds of advice, referring me to chiropractors, rolfers, "alternative healers," acupuncturists, and people who would help me reduce the stress (and thus the pain) in my life.  I got books in the mail about pain management through self-hypnosis.

And I had not lost a pound.

The year before - January 2009 - I resolved to use my kids' Wii to exercise.  I fired up the Wii Fit and promptly broke my foot.

I think resolutions can be helpful in a lot of situations, but I am pretty much through with them.  I'm still trying to lose the weight, but I am going a lot easier on myself.  I'm going to take the dieting route rather than the punishing exercise route for the time being.  We'll see how it goes.  What are your resolutions this year?

What I am knitting:  fuzzy gray socks for Bobby, and a mint-green baby blanket for someone to be named later.

What's in the crock-pot:  boneless, skinless chicken thighs layered with onions, carrots, garlic, salt, pepper, and a can of low-fat cream-of-mushroom soup.

The new washing machine arrives today.  I'll let you know how that goes.

1 comment:

Maorka said...

My resolution is weight loss and fitness but now you have me scared and paranoid.

PS. Did you get Roger Ebert's book, The Pot and How to Use It.