06 January 2011

Laundry

The new washing machine has arrived, and it’s a beauty.  


I told my husband, "We need a washing machine that will do 10,000 loads without a hiccup." So here's what we got. It's a Whirlpool Cabrio, and it's absolutely enormous - it will wash 50 t-shirts at once. I can't believe I am this excited about a washing machine. We’ll be doing laundry for days to catch up, but we don’t (really) mind.  The novelty of the new machinery seems to alleviate the drudgery.  There’s new high-efficiency detergent to measure in disturbingly small quantities, and there are so many options and different cycles that we could just get lost in the basement, caught in an endless cycle of cleaning up.

How do big families keep their laundry organized and moving along?  I saw this idea in a movie once, and I thought it was clever.  


Each family member has a drawer with his or her name.  Clean laundry goes into the appropriate drawer.  When the drawer is full, its owner (theoretically) takes it upstairs and puts the laundry away, and then returns the empty drawer neatly to its appointed space.  I say theoretically because, as you might imagine, no one actually checks their drawer until they’re out of underwear, and then they dash downstairs, grab a pair out of the drawer, and run back upstairs to get dressed.  Some family members are guilty of living out of their laundry drawers for as long as they can before Mom loses her cool.

In case you are wondering how I get all this done while I am working as a full-time corporate lawyer, I have recently received clearance to reveal to you my secret weapon.  


Her name is Patty.  Patty has been a part of our family since shortly before Bobby was born.  (I do mean shortly.  After I interviewed her, I asked whether she had any questions.  “Yeah,” she said.  “When is that baby due?”  “Tomorrow,” I responded.  “That’s why I need your help, and pretty quickly.”)

You could call Patty our housekeeper, or our babysitter, or our mother’s helper, or our nanny, but we just call her Patty.  She is a mother of three beautiful grown daughters herself, two of them with children of their own.  Patty has had some health issues lately, but she’s bouncing back, and we’re counting on her to stay well enough to be with us for a long, long time.

When Patty first started working here, she thought she would be doing one or two loads of laundry a week.  Ha.

In other news, today is the twelfth day of Christmas, also known as the feast of the Epiphany, Twelfth Night, or the Three Kings. It is the holiday that commemorates the arrival of the three wise men from the East at the cradle of the baby Jesus in Bethlehem. It's the "epiphany" of Jesus's birth to the whole world - the Wise Men were the first non-Jews to become aware of Jesus's arrival.

In the English tradition, and in many places around the world, this is a festive holiday. (I understand from my buddies at work that businesses are closed in Germany today.) It's also the first day that we are authorized to take down Christmas decorations - it is bad luck to do so before the Epiphany. I'll post more on the undecking process tomorrow.

What's in the crock-pot: leftovers.

What's on my mind: another winter storm watch. Bring it on. Have a good day.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I just read through your blog. It's great. I am your latest follower. I am friends with your neighbor (she is sitting right next to me) and I have a blog of my own which I started three months ago. I am also an attorney. Come check out my blog if you get a chance at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. I'd love if you would follow me back.